SharePoint 2013 unexpected database growth

So one day, suddenly I find my development environment out of drive space, never good, but its my dev box and not a production system. So that’s the good news. Production Environment Fix(Contentdb): So I start poking around and find that the content database is bloated to 17 gigs. That’s a problem since I don’t have any real content in the database. I ran this Script and it pointed me to the…

SPWeb.Users.GetCollection does not work as expected

It appears that SPWeb.Users.GetCollection is not bound to its initialized web although SPWeb.Users[username] and SPWeb.Users.GetByEmail(email) are. The unfortunate thing, SPWeb.Users[username] and SPWeb.Users.GetByEmail(email) both throw exceptions if nothing is found. public static Boolean UserExistsbyEmail(SPWeb web, string email) {//Throws Exception if account doesn’t exsit within the SPWeb try { SPUser spu = web.Users.GetByEmail(email); } catch (Exception ex) { return false; } return true; } public static Boolean UserExistsbyUserName(SPWeb web, string userName) {//Throws…

Session State in SharePoint

I tried using Session state today in a web part I was developing, it failed, the session was always null. I followed the best practices, verified it was enabled in web.config, it wasn’t, so I turned it on. EnableSessionState=”true”.   I tried my webpart again, same thing, null. So I ran Enable-SPSessionStateService. It returned the following error.   Enable-SPSessionStateService : An update conflict has occurred, and you mustre-try this action….

SharePoint 2013 Front End Server Prep

Here’s a collection of tools that are handy to have installed on your front end servers. The first thing you’ll want to do is install a Windows SDK. The SDK package comes with a lot tools, specifically GacUtil.exe Server 2012 http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/desktop/hh852363.aspx Server 2008 The first thing you’ll want to do is install a Windows SDK. The SDK package comes with a lot tools, specifically GacUtil.exe Server 2012 http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/desktop/hh852363.aspx Server 2008…

SharePoint Configuration Wizard Error – The SDDL string contains an invalid SID or a SID that cannot be translated

was setting up a HyperV instance for development. Grabbed a Server 2012 Eval, threw SQL on it and installed SharePoint Foundation 2013. I was running through the configuration wizard and it was at step 8 or 9, creating Sample Data… and it threw the error below. I went digging through the logs and found this gem of information…. 04/17/2013 18:21:54 8 ERR Failed to create sample data.An exception of type…

SharePoint 2013 Configure Search Services

//Provision Usage App $UP = Get-SPServiceApplicationProxy | where {$_.TypeName -like “Usage*”} $UP.Provision() //Starts the Services $hostA = Get-SPEnterpriseSearchServiceInstance -Identity “spapp” Start-SPEnterpriseSearchServiceInstance -Identity $hostA //Verify They’re started Get-SPEnterpriseSearchServiceInstance -Identity $hostA //Results //Get-SPEnterpriseSearchServiceInstance -Identity $hostA //TypeName : SharePoint Server Search //Description : Index content and serve search queries //Id : 82ce8815-ecbd-4cf3-a98e-33f20bd86039 //Server : SPServer Name=myserver1.example.com //Service : SearchService Name=OSearch15 //Role : None //Status : Online //Returns Search Server Topology $ssa = Get-SPEnterpriseSearchServiceApplication…

There was a problem deleting Web site “SiteName”. Sites that have subsites or certain apps can’t be deleted. Please try again after deleting all subsites and removing the apps.

Keep getting error when I try to delete a site with sub sites. This PowerShell script works well. # Completely deletes the specified Web (including all subsites) function RemoveSPWebRecursively( [Microsoft.SharePoint.SPWeb] $web) { Write-Debug “Removing site ($($web.Url))…” $subwebs = $web.GetSubwebsForCurrentUser() foreach($subweb in $subwebs) { RemoveSPWebRecursively($subweb) $subweb.Dispose() } $DebugPreference = “SilentlyContinue” Remove-SPWeb $web -Confirm:$false $DebugPreference = “Continue” } $DebugPreference = “SilentlyContinue” $web = Get-SPWeb “http://sp2013/programs” $DebugPreference = “Continue” If ($web -ne $null)…